Looking beautiful can sometimes be a very painful experience.
Just ask runway models about the shoes or garish outfits they wear, or the workout routines they endure and strict diets they adhere to.
Let’s not even get into all of the super intricate plastic surgery procedures that doctors are coming up with, or the fact that more people are getting cosmetic work done more than ever.
Recovery from these procedures usually aren’t pretty (have you seen anyone after a nose job? Ouch.) But sometimes, even the most mundane and seemingly innocuous of beautification attempts can mess with your body in severe ways.
Take the case of Lauren Woods for example, who was excited to dye her hair at home.
If you’ve ever tried coloring your hair on your own, you may know that allergic reactions can sometimes occur.
Woods was aware of this fact, so she did what most people in her situation: she conducted a “patch” test on herself to see if she’d have any sort of adverse reaction to the dye. She didn’t after 24 hours, so she thought she was in the clear.
Turns out, she was wrong, very, very wrong.
Woods’ reaction to the dye was much different than her reaction to her patch test, resulting in painful swelling all over her body. She had to be admitted to the hospital multiple times and was given steroids and allergy tablets to stabilize her condition and bring the swelling down.
She wrote about the harrowing experience on Facebook and shared photos of herself after being admitted in order to raise awareness about the dangers of using home kits.
This is one thing that I thought would never happen to me, but anyone who dyes their hair please make sure you do patch tests and strand tests! I did do a patch test my self and nothing came up after 24 hours so I dyed my hair on Thursday evening and everything was fine until I was about to get into the shower on Saturday morning and noticed how swollen my forehead had got as well as how burnt my scalp is.
After seeing the initial swelling she understandably freaked out and called her mother.
Woods could barely see out of her eyes – that’s how swollen they’d gotten. Her boyfriend had to drive her to and from the hospital.
I phoned my mum in absolute hysterics she rushed over I then went to the hospital for them to tell me not to wash my hair. hours pasted and the swelling had moved to my eyes, again went to the hospital with my boyfriend to be given steroids and allergy tablets and to be told the swelling will go down in the next few hours. Went home went to bed then woke up Sunday morning unable to open my eyes, so I went to the walk in centre to which she told me I had to go straight to a&e and I’ve been here ever since.
Her swelling has subsided somewhat, but the damage from the dye was so severe that it’s taking Woods several days to fully recover from the episode.
The pictures are of me on Friday, then Sunday afternoon on a drip, My face now and the hair dye I used. Dying my hair is definitely not worth the Amount of pain I’ve been in. I don’t want anyone to have to go through what I’ve had to go through these last few days so please can you share and raise awareness that this isn’t just something you see in the papers!
Woods’ post quickly went viral; it’s currently been shared more than 8,000 times. In the comments section, many people commented that they too have suffered from home hair dye kits.
Some people, scarily enough, had some intense reactions even after a simple patch test.
Woods just hopes that her photos will have people think twice before using a boxed dye.
Although it costs a lot more money, you might be better off going to a professional salon to get your dye job done properly. But if you’re the type of person who just reacts poorly to most hair dye products, you might just be stuck with your natural hair color. Which is much better than the alternative: looking like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.
Powered by WPeMatico